Feed a crowd on Bonfire night or Halloween by roasting whole pumpkin or squash and filling with a bubbling three cheese fondue.
2-3kg squash or pumpkin
Small roasted or boiled potatoes, to serve
Sliced apple, to serve
Crusty bread, to serve
Breadsticks, to serve
1 tbsp cornflour
300g x3 cheeses, grated
100g double cream
2 tbsp cider
1 shallot, finely diced
garlic clove, crushed
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Cut a ‘lid’ off your pumpkin and scoop out the seeds and membranes (these can be used in another recipe).
- Return lid and bake on a sturdy tray for 50mins-1hr.
- Mix the grated cheeses with the cornflour until completely coated.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and discard lid (this can also be used in another recipe) increase heat to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Layer up the cheese, crème fraîche, white wine, shallot and garlic inside the pumpkin. Lift back into the oven and bake for 30 mins or until the fondue is melted and bubbling.
- Eat with the apple, potato, bread and breadsticks as well as spoons, scooping out chunks of soft, roasted pumpkin with the melted cheese.