There's nothing more satisfying than a creamy homemade custard. Cut a corner and use ready rolled puff pastry for a quick and delicious Portuguese treat.
250g golden caster sugar
4 egg yolks
500ml whole milk
1 vanilla pod seeds
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C. Make a sugar syrup by bringing the sugar and 200ml water to the boil. Reduce until syrupy and allow to cool.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and cornflour until smooth in another large pan. Heat the milk and vanilla pod seeds in a separate pan until just below the boil.
- Gradually pour the hot milk over the eggs and cornflour, then cook on a low heat, continually whisking. Add the cooled sugar syrup to the custard and whisk until thickened slightly.
- Pour the custard through a sieve. and into the pastry cases. Bake for 15 mins until the pastry is golden and the custard has darkened.
- Cool completely in the tins then sift over icing sugar and ground cinnamon to serve.