This simplified version of the classic French tart requires no pastry skills, reducing the prep and cooking times. It is delicious served warm from the oven or cold as leftovers the following day, making it a great option for a work lunch or picnic.
Ingredients1 onion, chopped
6 large eggs
100g grated cheddar
100g tomato, sliced
2 tbsp tarragon
2 tbsp chopped chives
2 cloves garlic, grated
8 bacon, chopped
or for a veggie option:
1 courgette, sliced
1 butternut squash, diced and boiled for 10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
- Fry the bacon (or courgette and squash) and onion over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and stir in half the cheese and 1 tbsp each of the tarragon and chives. Stir in half the bacon and onion mix. Season well.
- Grease a 8in round ovenproof dish and pour in the egg mixture. Scatter over the remaining bacon and onion mixture, cheese, herbs and the cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until just set and golden. Serve warm or cold, sliced into wedges with a crisp green salad of your choice.