This creamy, vegetarian soup is a great way to use up leftover chestnuts, or use freshly roasted chestnuts for a more intense flavour. Why not top with grated parmesan?
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp oil
2 large onions, peeled and roughly chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
500g cooked and peeled chestnuts
750ml vegetable stock
Parsley and double cream for garnish
- Fry the onions in butter and oil in a large saucepan until they have softened.
- Add the carrots, chestnuts and stock.
- Turn up the heat until a slow simmer is reached. Continue for around 10 minutes or until the carrots are cooked.
- Pour the contents into a blender and mix until the soup is perfectly smooth.
- Garnish each bowlful with double cream, parsley, chopped cooked chestnuts and freshly ground pepper.