Impress your guests with this chocolate cherry layered cream cake - a revamped version of a retro classic.
175g salted butter
200g dark chocolate
300g plain flour
375g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
200g plain yogurt
4 tbsp kirsch (or cherry cordial for non-alcoholic)
500ml double cream
3 tbsp icing sugar
250g fresh cherries
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line the base of 3 x 20cm cake tins. Put butter and 180g broken chocolate chunks into a bain marie and gently heat until melted.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and cocoa with a pinch of salt. Whisk the eggs and yogurt together. Scrape the melted chocolate mixture and egg mixture into the dry ingredients, add 100ml boiling water and whizz briefly with an electric whisk until the cake batter is lump free.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 25 mins. Put 8 cherries aside then cut the rest in half and remove stones. Add to a saucepan with half the jam and a little sugar. Gently boil for 5 mins. Allow to cool then stir in the kirsch (or cordial).
- Prick the cakes a few times with a skewer. Drizzle over the syrup. Cool the cakes.
- Whip the double cream and icing sugar together and spread on the top half of each cake, and the remaining jam on the bottom halves. Keep a little aside to pipe on top.
- Sandwich all the cakes together and grate dark chocolate on top. Pipe cream into 8 swirls and place a cherry on each.