160g cooking butter
110g demerara sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
225g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
1tsp nutmeg or ground ginger or cinnamon
150g icing sugar
100g mixed nuts, lightly crushed
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan and grease a 1 litre loaf tin (or round or square cake tin).
- Cream 85g butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and banana.
- Fold in flour, 80g nuts, salt and spice alternately with dissolved coffee (add more coffee if mixture is thick).
- Pour mixture into the tin and bake for 50 mins.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly in the tin. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix 75g butter with 150g icing sugar and 1tsp dissolved coffee then spread over your cake.
- Use remaining nuts to decorate on top.